How to Dress for Work Without Looking Like a Stiff

Thursday 27 February 2014

First things first.
How to dress for work without looking like a stiff.

We have all been there, you start a new job and automatically you pair looking professional with looking like your 60 year old auntie - she's old, she must look professional... right?

Wrong.

Dressing smart for work, I have discovered, does not mean losing your sense of style, pairing clothes or going colour blind. All of the above can happen but also, so can the apocalypse. I am going to take you back with me to a time 4 years ago - picture a girl, desperate to travel the world, gets offered a job at a bank which hints that it may be able to help her pay for aforementioned trip, she jumps at the chance without realising her wardrobe is a miss mash of tutus and rock t - shirts (apparently not appropriate in a professional environment, who knew?) what is the next step? For me it was taking a trip to Marks and Spencer - choosing all the clothes I thought looked 'professional' (read: boring) and called it a day. I spent the next few months regretting this decision but having no funds to fritter away on work clothes, going out after work for a drink was problematic in my super sexy clothing choices.

I vowed at that moment not to succumb to this paranoia ever again, well obviously that is a little dramatic but you get my drift.

I think dressing for work involves one main task - picking clothes that make you feel confident. 'If you build it, he will come' and all that.

Wearing my pleather skirt and heeled boots to work makes me walk differently and feel more comfortable when approaching people - weird eh? Its like that feeling you get when your favourite song comes on on your iPod when your walking around, you suddenly start strutting along with a slight skip in your step.

I am going to start a series of posts based around dressing for work (actual information posts and not just complete waffle), getting work and work, work, work. If there is anything you think would be useful (not that anything I ever share will be) leave me a comment and let me know...
Top - Primark, Skirt - River Island, Lipgloss - Tanya Burr Picnic in the Park, Necklace - H&M, Boots - Vintage
Obviously I am still in post new year healthy eating mode - I deserve a pat on the back for not succumbing to the blueberry muffin section in Tescos every morn.
The completely necessary unnecessary stuff I carry around with me

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you have any questions I will reply asap!

Ashley Fauguel All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger